Make a quilt that tells your story, with fabric and stitches
Join me for my newest online class and get ready to approach quilt making in a whole new way!
The term Boro translates roughly to “tattered cloth” or “rags”. Cloth that has been mended over and over again to keep it strong and usable for many years.
It is such a pure example of make-do-and-mend.
Inspired by these beautiful cloths, you will learn my design techniques to make your own improvisational quilt in the style of Japanese Boro.
How is the class structured?
We’ll start class with a virtual trunk show, looking at examples of my own Boro-inspired pieces while talking through my color and design choices.
Next, we’ll talk through how to create your own color palette, and pick a range of different fabrics that work within it. Follow along as I decide what details to put where and why on my demo quilt.
And after that? We’ll audition different threads and fabrics, and get you set up to add hand stitching and fabric patches across the surface of the quilt top. (My favorite part, because your project suddenly becomes completely portable!) It will become the perfect project to keep beside the your favorite chair, at the ready for stitching on during a weekend movie marathon. Or to grab as you go out the door to have coffee with a friend.
Video lessons will help to spark ideas for adding accents and surface texture to your quilt top using layers of fabric patches and embroidery stitches.
To finish your piece, I will share how to sandwich the quilt layers, how to mark and hand quilt your layers together, and binding.
Enjoy your finished quilt as a wallhanging, on a bed, or pillow.
What is included?
- Forever access to 16 video lessons you can watch over and over again (you can even slow them down or speed them up when you need to)
- A complete supply list with links, including video demons of my favorite tools with helpful tips on using them
- My techniques to create your ideal color palette
- Demos on creating a quilt top that will be the canvas for your hand stitching and special patches
- Guidance on adding patches, accents, and surface texture to your quilt top
- Demonstrations and inspiration for hand stitches, both free form and sashiko-inspired grid stitches
- Direct help from me if you have questions or issues
Please note this is a completely online class. When you payment is processed, you will receive an email from me with all the information to login and get all the details.