sketching every day
Two months ago, before challenging myself to sketch every day for a year for The Sketchbook Project,
– I fully believed I could not draw.
– I would have never started any drawing I managed to force from my brain with a permanent marker (only a pencil I could erase).
– I did not believe that doodling amounted to anything other than doodling.
– I would stop drawing as soon as I felt I had fully developed my idea in my head and would never look back at what I drew with any reflection.
– If something looked terrible, I immediately stopped.
– Sketching was not relaxing to me. It felt forced and akward, even when the occasional inspiration to draw actually came over me.
– I felt I did not have time to develop the skill of drawing or sketching.
I have already learned so much about myself since I started this personal challenge.
Sketchbook Doodling from Blair Stocker on Vimeo.
Music is Mike Mills by Air.
cloth.paper.string | sarahOctober 3, 2012 at 5:43 am
oh blair, how you inspire!!!
jessicaOctober 3, 2012 at 7:32 am
What kind of wonderful pens? markers? are you using?
emilyOctober 3, 2012 at 11:34 am
i love that you’re doing this!!!
lisa sOctober 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm
gkgirlOctober 3, 2012 at 1:55 pm
oh….i love love love this idea to start with
and awesome sketch!
I am going to watch the video now…
i just got all excited and wanted to comment first!
GustosoOctober 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Yes please tell us about the pen/paint brush you are working with.
margieOctober 4, 2012 at 5:42 am
I loved your video … and picture. I’m itching to start something similar, but not sure where to begin. When I walk into my local art shop I get totally over whelmed… vast selection and the cost to build an art stash get get pretty high. Any suggestions on what materials are good basics? must haves vs. nice to haves?
blair/wisecraftOctober 6, 2012 at 9:01 am
I plan to do a post on my “tools” soon! Stay tuned!
blair/wisecraftOctober 6, 2012 at 9:04 am
blair/wisecraftOctober 6, 2012 at 9:08 am
An art tools post is coming soon, stay tuned! Thank you!
Erin | house on hill roadOctober 8, 2012 at 3:26 am
look at you go! love this – i am so inspired, blair.
~VickiOctober 12, 2012 at 9:45 am
How inspiring Blair! I love to doodle. I’ve been a doodler since I could hold a pencil. My doodling has taken me many places…I’ve filled many a sketchbook. I can’t say everything turns out Great, but the process opens up possibilities. Ideas seem to flow when a doodler lets loose. Love this project!! Thanks for sharing the awesome vid.