Upcycled Curio Boxes DIY
Make Your Own Upcycled Curio Boxes
- Thrift store wooden shelving pieces (don’t have to have a back), wooden boxes (remove their tops), or empty wooden drawers
- Wood stain (I used Minwax “Ebony”)
- Decorative papers (scrapbook, origami, and wrapping paper are good sources)
- Craft glue
- Xacto knife
- Hooks and hanging hardware
- Items you want to display
Clean the wood pieces. Stain or paint them to unify the wood color.
Measure and trim decorative papers to cover the inside backs of the boxes. A couple of my pieces didn’t actually have a back, and were just open. In that case, just glue the paper around the back of the frame. Once it’s hanging it looks like the others.
I tried attaching all of the boxes to each other, before hanging the whole thing on the wall as one piece. This didn’t work so well and I don’t recommend it. Much better to mark and hang each box individually. Play with placement and cluster them close together.
Place tiny things inside!