These forgotten and decayed, web-covered Halloween flowers are made from loving cup trophies. The ones that end up at the thrift store are usually metallic painted plastic and are easy to repaint (they are practically begging to be used). Easy to repaint and do all sorts of DIY’s with, like these Halloween arrangements. The large one is nice all on its own for to spook up your décor, and the smaller ones make great place card holders or party favors. See another way I’ve used trophies for Halloween décor here.
No doubt, a quilt maker needs a big space to lay out the quilt top, configure the design of it. Or at least big enough that we need to be able to step back and away from the piece to get a feel for the whole design. Trying to do this on a horizontal surface (dining room table, bed, floor) can work, but soon enough it gets old. In comes the portable design wall to the rescue!READ MORE
In our house, weaving Ojo de Dios (also known as God’s Eye) are a fun summer pastime. I actually first made these as an adult, with my daughter’s 3rd grade Girl Scout troop many years ago, and I’ve love their graphic simplicity ever since. They are easy to make, quick to learn, and meditative to weave. They are certainly pretty in their simplest form, but over the years we’ve added some simple customizations into ours that I’ll share below. Grab some scrap yarn… or twine…. or Para cord …or fabric, a few sticks from the yard, something icy to drink, and start weaving!
I decided to do some creative playing last week. It’s an important part of the creative process for all of us, and boy was it fun for me. One of the things I made were these wood burned pendants for Emma and myself. I thought I would share how to make them, it really couldn’t be easier.
Even though Valentine’s day is not a highly celebrated event at our house, I can appreciate a shot of the brightly saturated pinks around the house in the middle of a Seattle winter. This DIY Valentine is quick, easy, fun, and addictive. Got wooden beads and paint? You’re all set to make these!
I am really dragging my feet on getting out the Christmas decorations.
I mean, is it really, truly Christmas? So soon?
Instead of facing the thousands of decoration-filled boxes we have in the basement, I did what makes to total sense to no one but me.
I made a new wreath.
Talking with Erin last week got me in the mood to some quilting, but I wasn’t sure where to start. Inspiration is always in my head, but too much and I’m frozen. So I decided to get back to basics. The disappearing nine patch block has been around for a while, but I wanted to document my process here. So many who claim to not have the skills to make a quilt could easily create this block, and its a very satisfying sew. I used a charm pack of Denyse Schmidt’s newest line, Florence, 1/2 yard or so of one of the prints in this range that reminded me of boxer shorts (actually, the whole range reminds me of boxer shorts!). I wanted dark centers in each of the nine patch blocks, so I used another Denyse Schmidt print (coincidence, but all her prints do work together well) in dark blue for each of the centers. Making the center of each block darker valued will create some continuity later on, but this is not a hard and fast rule. You could make every single square in your nine patch blocks a different fabric. Play with low and high volume prints. Experiment! That’s what this block is all about. Here’s how to do it.READ MORE
Maybe it all started with the Day of the Dead quilt, or maybe it’s the gloomy Seattle weather we’ve had, but for whatever reason, I’m into Halloween craft projects way more this year than in year’s past.
There was actually a whole bunch of Halloween decor crafting afternoon last week.
Which around here apparently means lots of spray paint.
Easiest wreath ever. The spray paint a bright fluorescent orange, but a green would be fun too. Our porch is a little dark, so the bright is a nice touch. The grapevine wreath is from Joann’s.
Two coats of spray paint later and I hot glued on every plastic bug, spider, mini skeleton head, and rubber snake I could find in our bin of Halloweens past.
The finishing touch is a cover with spider webs.